discoveries of grace in my messy and imperfect, but blessed, life

It’s amazing how often grace slips between the cracks and slides into my life when I least expect it. The other night I wrote a very bitter, angry post about my chronic pain/health issues and all of the ugly feelings I’ve been wrestling with lately–the loneliness, isolation, feeling completely useless and unimportant. A few hours later, I went back and deleted my post, thinking my emotions were just too ugly and intense to share. The next morning while reading my email, I discovered that someone had read and answered my post in the three hours it was up:

From one redhead to another: Been there. Before I took myself back to school at the ripe old age of-well, let’s not go there, shall we?-I was stuck with no job, no car, and very much alone. If I had died it would have been weeks before anyone knew about it. You will make it. Read Isaiah 41-I don’t have a Bible handy at the moment-where He says, “I will help you.” Hold onto that.
I loved your 21st Century Zen. It was the only belly roll laugh I had all day! Thank you. I needed it. Good luck on getting discovered. I enjoyed reading you.

Posted by The Wanderer to redhead-report at 7/31/2006 08:56:

This is the text from Isaiah, one that I have read many times but, for some reason have not remembered these past months:

But you, Israel, my servant,
Jacob, whom I have chosen,
descendant of Abrham my friend,
whom I have taken to myself,
from the remotest parts of the earth
and summoned from countries far away,
to whom I have said, ‘You are my servant,
I have chosen you, I have not rejected you,’
do not be afraid, for I am with you;
do not be alarmed, for I am your God.
I give you strength, truly I help you,
truly I hold you firm,
with my saving right hand.

Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by your name
you are mine.
Should you pass through the waters,
I shall be with you;
or through rivers,
they will not swallow you up.
Should you walk through fire,
you will not suffer,
and the flame will not burn you.
For I am Yahweh, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.
(Isaiah 41:8-10;43:1-3)

Somehow, despite the physical pain, I realize now that I’m not alone. That, indeed, I never was. All I had to do was ask, and God was there. When I least expected anyone to hear me, I was answered by grace.

5 thoughts on “surprised by grace

1. Kerry says:

Barb,You are continually in my thoughts and prayers as well. Never feel like you can’t share what you are feeling, even if it is raw and ugly emotion. You are NOT alone.

2. Emilie says:

Barb, wow — that truly was a moment of grace. And I agree with Kerry … please don’t feel like you have to delete anything you write here. As you can see, people identify and relate — and care. 🙂

3. LutherLiz says:

Barb, I saw the original post and thought of you but didnt’ have time to respond right then. The next morning it was gone and I wasn’t sure if I’d imagined it. Even in its raw and ugly pain it was touching and beautiful too. I’m glad that you recieved a reminder of God’s grace as a result. Believe me, even if I can’t fully understand I care and wish I could do something to help.I’ve been meaning to email you about this all week but my words seem inadequate somehow. Isaiah hits it much better than I do. ***Hugs***

4. barbara says:

*sniff*More grace–friends like you guys! I feel so lucky, humbled in a way too, to be on the receiving end of such caring. I hope you all know how much each of you means to me.

5. barbara says:

Oh, and Lciz–your words aren’t inadequate at all. Quite the opposite!!!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

There Will Be Bread

The intersection of faith and life.

DETAIL ORIENTED BEAUTY

All things skincare, green beauty and beyond!

doxaweb.wordpress.com/

Our every encounter leads someone toward beatitude or away from it

Minute Meditations

Presented by Benedictine University, Campus Ministry

Medievalists.net

Where the Middle Ages Begin

Reflections

We are what we think.

PTSD and beyond

The good and the bad of having an illness

Lavender and Levity

Laughing at myself, and learning to love (live with) it!

A New Day: Living Life Almost Gracefully

Photography and Thoughts About Life and Aging

Living A Fibro Life

My life with Fibromyalgia

Ramblings of a now 60+ Female

Scotland, Fibromyalgia, Sleep Apneoa, Mental Health, Endometriosis, Osteoarthritis, Nature.

Invisibly Me

Live A Visible Life Whatever Your Health

Fibro Ramblings

Living with Fibromyalgia

Women With Fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia Support for Women

imageintoikon.wordpress.com/

exploring creativity and spirituality

Being Benedictine

Living the Rule of St. Benedict in Daily Life

CoffeeMamma

Just a Mom that loves her family, coffee & blog.

Rev. Rebecca Writes