- Only 2% of the world population are natural redheads.
- 4% of the American population are natural redheads.
- The “ginger gene,” the gene responsible for red hair, was discovered by Jonathan Rees at the University of Edinburgh.
- In 2001 an Irish judge fined a man for disorderly conduct, stating, “I am a firm believer that hair coloring has an effect on temper, and your coloring suggests you have a temper.” (Perhaps the judge was married to a redhead.)
- Botticelli’s The Birth of Venus depicts the mythological goddess as a redhead.
- Between 1483 and 1784, approximately 45,000 women were executed as witches because they possessed “witch marks,” including red hair.
- Redheaded women require 20% more anesthesia to block movement in response to painful stimulation than blonds or brunettes.
- In 1993 Bruce Springsteen first sang the lyrics, “You ain’t lived until you’ve had your tires rotated by a redheaded woman.”
“You’d find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair. People who haven’t red hair don’t know what trouble it is.”
–Anne of Green Gables