Courtesy of my friends over at RevGalBlogPals, here is today’s Friday Five:
You know how sometimes you just want to have a hymn sing?
Well, today is that day.
Share with the group five favorite hymns or praise songs or songs that bring you close to the Spirit (that’s a pretty wide net!) and why they are special to you.
Bonus if you can share Youtube videos or audio files of one or two or more.
Well, okay, here are my efforts. It will take the workings of the Holy Spirit for me to manage the media aspect of this…
3. Be Not Afraid. I’ve sung this in the shower, in the hospital, at my dad’s funeral. It comforts me whenever I feel scared and alone, or sad and grieving.
4. Hymn Tune Thaxted/O God Beyond All Praising. Bittersweet. My wedding processional, and my beloved friend Emilie’s funeral processional.
5. Holy God We Praise They Name. Every time I sing this, I go straight back to childhood, sitting between my parents at Incarnation Church during mass. Classic.
I can’t stop at five, though. so this will be my Friday Eight!
6. For All the Saints. Another classic. I choose this one for my mom’s funeral, appropriately enough, I still think.
7. All Creatures of Our God and King. Based on the poetry of St. Francis of Assisi. (Recessional at mom’s funeral. She loved St. Francis!)
8. And, of course, my Grandma’ Resch’s favorite: How Great Thou Art.